Sunday, December 2, 2012

Practicum Journal #1



Journal 1

Grade K                                Time   7:45 – 1:15                 Date 9/26/2012

List What occurred during the time you are at your school? What are all the things that happen in the time frame you are in your school?


  •         Introduction with my teacher
  •         9 post it poster
  •         Morning meeting
  •         Where’s my teddy? Bigger, smaller
  •         Reading centers
  •         Going to gym
  •         Prep for returning students
  •         Lesson plan
  •         Getting students from gym
  •         Snack time
  •         W worksheet
  •         Going to lunch
  •         Meeting teachers in teachers’ lounge.
  •         Getting students from playground.
  •        Watercolor waves for letter “W”


Describe 1 item from the list, in GREAT detail – who, what, when, where, how, where
Today was my first day of observation. It was also my first formal teaching experience. The kindergartners were working on the alphabet, specifically the letter “W”.  My portion of teaching the letter “W” was to teach the learners to make water color waves and practice visual phonics.
The making of the alphabet book appeared very simple. It was just a basic cover page with a place for the learners to write their name. Each consecutive page had a very large letter of the alphabet on the right hand side. This would be very easy to replicate.
In small groups, of 4 to 5, the learners came to my station. We first found the letter “W” in the alphabet book, then practiced the visual phonic for “W”, finally the learners got to paint water color waves on their pages.
I would have stuck with smaller groups of 3 to 4 to do this lesson. I felt like having more didn’t allow me to pay enough attention to each learner. Also, timing was another piece that was hard to keep to because of the larger groups. We were trying to keep each group to 5 minutes. However, with the larger groups it tended to be closer to 6 or 7 minutes to get the work done. This may be due to the fact that it is my first time teaching. Maybe I will get faster with time.
Overall, it was a great day. I enjoyed first observation. The kindergarteners appear to like me as well. I received many questions, some a little personal. However, that is part of what I like about teaching this age group. They are constantly yearning for knowledge and not afraid to ask even if society says it is impolite.