Saturday, December 1, 2012

Student vs. Teacher Reflection

Currently, I have a unique perspective. I am not only a student but have through my practicum taken the first steps as a teacher. One of the largest differences I have found thus far is in the planning stage. As a student you only have to think about yourself and how you are affected. However, as a teacher you need to think about your entire class individually. For example, in my practicum I have a student who is colorblind so when making lesson plans I must make sure to remember and adjust for the learner, or frustration could quickly take over and learning would stop.
  Another interesting difference between being a student vs. a teacher is how you affect those around you. As a student you have friends and eventually those friends may look up to you in some aspects. However, as a teacher you are thrust into a role-model position almost instantly. The learners look up to you and you affect them positively or negatively every minute of the day!